Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Raise Your Child's IQ!

I opened this morning's Charlotte Observer to the op-ed page and the headline, "Best children's books ever" caught my eye. Nicholas Kristof, a columnist for the New York Times, sang one of my favorite tunes.

In Kristof's words: "In educating myself this spring about education, I was aghast to learn that American children drop in IQ each summer vacation- because they aren't in school or exercising their brains.... A mountain of research points to a central lesson: Pry your kids away from the keyboard and the television this summer, and get them reading."

Kristof then went on to list his 13 all-time favorite books and invited readers to send in their own suggestions. From the looks of today's blog, he achieved his goal. He received over 2000 comments with other book recommendations. He is also looking for organizations that particularly encouraging reading for disadvantaged children. So if you know of one, leave a link in his comments page.

And while we're on the subject of not letting your kids "veg out" in front of the tube or computer this summer, how about linking that reading to a creative writing activity? Check out the International Reading Association's website for reading and writing activities. And what better time than the summer to get your daughter or son working on that "book" which they always say they're going to write? I just happen to know of a book which will help them along in the process. Ever hear of Teaching the Story: Fiction Writing in Grades 4-8?

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

2 comments:

elysabeth said...

I am a big believer in year-round schooling for this very reason. The kids are really out the same amount of time but not all lumped together during summer vacation. My kids drive me nuts in the summer because I work at home so it would be very great to have year-round schooing here. There are a few but not in our district.

The teacher I've been working with in Utah has a summer reading challenge for his upcoming sixth graders - and he's had a few participate - so I'm participating in his challenge as well. For more details on the challenge, you can check out his Wikispace - http://bce456.wikispaces.com/ - scroll down to Mr. Hughes' info - E :)

Jean said...

Great information, Carol. Thanks.

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhallwords.blogspot.com

PUSH-PULL MORNING: Dog Powered Poems About Matter and Energy

I wouldn't have believed that a book about matter and energy would be read by the picture book crowd, except that my third-grade and kin...