Hello from Cullowhee, North Carolina- home of NCCAT where Joyce Hostetter and I are teaching the seminar, "Is There a Children's Book in You?" We are acting as midwives-- helping 21 talented teachers from across the state write picture books, early chapter books, and novels.
Here are some writing resources I have collected for them, as well as for any of you who are also interested in writing and publishing for children.
- http://www.writing-world.com/children/nonfiction.shtml - Five Reasons to Write Nonfiction for Children
- http://joycemoyerhostetter.blogspot.com/ Joyce Hostetter's blog
GRAPHIC NOVELS WEBSITES:
- http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/profdev/profdev105.shtml -Education World Article about Graphic Novels
- http://yahelp.suffolk.lib.ny.us/yacomic.html Comic and Graphic Novel Resources
- http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/lml/comics/pages/index.html Comic Books for Young Adults: A Guide for Librarians
- http://www.rationalmagic.com/Comics/Comics.html Graphic Novel Reviews
- http://www.duluth.lib.mn.us/YouthServices/GraphicNovelsParents.html A Parent's Guide to Graphic Novels for Teens
- http://my.voyager.net/~sraiteri/graphicnovels.htm Recommended Graphic Novels for Public Libraries
Kid Safe Graphic Novels Kid Safe Graphic Novels
http://www.cobblestonepub.com/magazines.html Cricket and Cobblestone
- http://www.writerswrite.net/pubdisp.cfm?market=1100201 Highlights- writers guidelines
EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS WEBSITES
http://ngsp.com/ National Geographic School Publishing. Materials for the classroom. *****
https://www.secureaep.com/awards/attendees.php - Get a list of the 500 people who attended the Association of Educational Publishers summit on publishing for the digital future. **
http://www.evan-moor.com/Science/Catalog.aspx?CurriculumID=6 – An example of one educational publisher, Evan Moor. **
http://www.prufrock.com/ Publishes materials for gifted children ***
http://www.pearsonhighered.com/ Megabig publisher for school materials ****
http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/hip_main_content/1,3120,-802,00.html ) author's guidelines for Pearson's companies
http://www.readingprograms.info/ed_pubs.html **** lists websites of major educational publishers
http://www.buzzle.com/chapters/education-and-higher-learning_teachers-guide-and-related-resources_publishers-and-publishing.asp *****-lists of educational publishers
- http://write4kids.com/a2e.html "Author To Editor: Query Letter Secrets of the Pros"
- http://www.right-writing.com/factors.htm "Ten Factors to Consider when Writing a Book Proposal"