Friday, April 4, 2008

Things that Make a Writer’s Heart Race

I had sat just down at my computer on Tuesday afternoon when I heard a "plunk" at my front door. I opened it to find a package with the familiar Honesdale, Pa. return address. I couldn't imagine what it could be. I had already received the article of the month award from Highlights magazine for "Paperweight Magic," my piece about internationally acclaimed artist, Paul Stankard. Trembling, I opened the package. When I saw that it was another pewter plaque I first thought that the editors must have made a mistake and sent me a duplicate award. Surprised is too small a word to convey how I felt when I realized that my article had also received the "Arts Feature of the Year" award for 2007.

Believe me, it took a long time for my heart rate to come back to normal.

Check out Stankard's work on his website and you'll see why I concluded the article with: "Paul Stankard has two mottoes: 'Make it well' and 'Never stop learning.' Following those mottoes has allowed Paul Stankard to make magic from colored-glass rods—it's a magic you must see to believe."

It was an honor to communicate that magic to children through the pages of one of my childhood favorites, Highlights Magazine.Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments:

THOMAS JEFFERSON'S BATTLE FOR SCIENCE: A Picture Book Review and Giveaway

Beth Anderson is no stranger to my  blog . Her outstanding nonfiction biographies find little-known stories within a historical character&#...