Here are some nuggets that explain the Elementary Level of Reading:
- There are four stages at this level:
- reading readiness
- reading simple materials (some by sight)
- vocabulary building through working to understand new words
- refining and enhancing reading skills (an ongoing process).
- In Adler's words: "The discovery of meaning in symbols [referring to letters and words on a page] may be the most astounding intellectual feat that any human being ever performs—and most humans perform it before they are seven years of old!"