Wednesday, December 20, 2023

A Holiday GIft: Haikus from Two Friends Plus Two Announcements

 I'm going to end my blogging for 2023 with some delicious word morsels from two writer friends. They'll take you less than a minute to read, yet I suspect it took Jo Hackl and Michelle Nott hours to craft them. Savor each verb and taste every image. Let the flavor of their figurative language roll around on your tongue.

These word treats pack no calories--just pleasure!

HAIKUS


Leaves fell but still I

cling, waiting wafts of wind, to

glide to waiting soil.  -- Jo Hackl


Image courtesy Jo Hackl

Leaves in shades of wine

Dance with secrets on a breeze

Encore and applause. -- Michelle Nott 

 

 


Image courtesy Jo Hackl

Irresistible

Straw basket beckoned me near

and now it is mine. -- Jo Hackl

 



Image courtesy Michelle Nott. Photo taken in Savoie, France while snow-shoeing.

 

Grains of dust, frost-kissed

Crystallize, waltz, bow, whisper

Warm wishes to all. -- Michelle Nott


ANNOUNCEMENTS


💗 Congratulations to Erin Hecker who won THE MEMORY QUILT which comes out on January 9.

💗 I will be leading writing workshops again in 2024. My first one is Ten Steps on Your Path to Publication at Steele Creek Library in Charlotte, NC on March 19. Join me in this hands-on workshop as I share ten steps toward making your writing dream a reality. We will also touch on the pros and cons of self-publishing.

The workshop is free and all attendees will take home a journal to inspire them on their path to publication. Registration is required and opens on January 1. 

                                                                ❄❄❄❄

Happy Holidays to all of you. I'm taking some time away from blogging and will welcome you back here in 2024 for book reviews from myself and my team of tween and teen bloggers; giveaways, and more!

6 comments:

Linda Trott Dickman said...

Thank you for the beautiful Haiku and for the information about a workshop!

Merry Christmas!
Linda

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, LInda. Merry Christmas to you too!

Kathy and Greg said...

Thank you for all of your wonderful posts, and your support of books, authors, and illustrators!
Wishing you a wonderful new year.
Kathy Bostrom

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Kathy!!

Jo Hackl said...

Many thanks Carol! I love how you support the writing community!

Carol Baldwin said...

You are welcome, Jo. And thanks for lending me your pictures and haikus. The kitty cat just tickles me so much!

SHE'S STILL HERE: A Book Review by Guest Blogger, Josie Murdock

REVIEW OF SHE'S STILL HERE by Caitlin Alexander Twenty years ago, Ravendale Middle school caught fire and Jane Wright was lost forever....