A cartoon guide introduces the book with five guidelines for creating outdoor art:
- start a collection so you have materials
- respect your environment -- don't hurt plants or animals
- be brave--try new tools and techniques
- stay safe -- use an adult's help when necessary
- have fun--the most important tip of all!
I found myself wishing that I had this book when my children were young. But wait! It's not too late. There's a generation of grandchildren waiting to discover their artistic selves!
Joyce Hostetter and I are giving away a copy of The Jumbo Book of Outdoor Art (Kids Can Press, 2006) in our next issue of Talking Story. If you are interested in registering for this giveaway, please leave me a comment with your email address and I'll add your name as a subscriber. You can look for a copy of the newsletter in your inbox on or around May 7th, the contest will close May 14th.