Friday, September 9, 2011

BLUE's News

Several writers I know are reposting previous book reviews as a part of Random Acts of Publicity Week.  Since Joyce Hostetter's book trailer came out today celebrating the new cover of her book, I figure this was an opportune time to republish my review of BLUE and share Joyce's book trailer. 


This review is from July, 2007. In the four years since I met Joyce, we have co-taught at NCCAT, NWRESA, NCAIS, and NCRA; are co-publishing Talking Story, but best of all, have become good friends. The Lord blessed me tremendously when He brought her into my life!


My review is followed by the trailer, made by Joyce's talented daughter, Wendy Hostetter Davis. To top it all off, Joyce has a giveaway  on her blog that you don't want to miss!


In addition to meeting educators at the Mid-South conference, I also met Joyce Hostetter, the author of Blue (Calkins Creek Books, 2006). This award-winning novel is set in Hickory, NC in 1944 and the story is well-shown through the eyes and heart of 13-year-old Ann Fay Honeycutt. Whether she likes it or not, the end of World War II and the polio epidemic impact Ann's life and leaves her a young woman who has faced heartache and pain—in her family and in her own body. These changes, along with how she overcomes entrenched family prejudices against African Americans, make this novel an excellent read for students in grades 5-8. I also recommend this book to my fellow writers. I am writing historical fiction that takes place in Charlotte during the 50's and it is inspiring (and educational!) to read other books in the same genre. (Boyds Mill Press, 2006)




6 comments:

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

What a lovely surprise! Thank you so much, Carol. Love working with you!

Linda A. said...

Carol,

Blue is one of my favorites. Thanks for posting this.

Linda A.

Carol Baldwin said...

Linda-- I bet you enjoyed that trailer if Blue is one of your favorite books. ANd JOyce, it is great to celebrate with you!

Jean said...

I love BLUE, too. Great story with great characters.

Blessings,
Jean
Write2Ignite.com

Clara Gillow Clark said...

Joyce is a stellar writer! Good books like BLUE never go out of fashion. Best wishes with your w-i-p, Carol. I look forward to learning more about the story.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Clara! Aren't I blessed to have Joyce as a writing mentor?

THE HUMAN BODY: AN ALIEN'S GUIDE: A Graphic Novel Review by Guest Blogger Brooke Leela-Ann White

The human body… more like the heroic body! The Human Body: An Alien’s Guide , written by Ruth Redford and illustrated by Leandro Cunha , is...