As promised, I'm returning to my mini-series of posts on Writing Tips. If you missed the earlier posts, Part I and II included General Advice and Part III was on Deep Point of View. Today, some of my fellow writers tackle story making.
- Set out the stakes early.
- Start with the story question.
- Keep your main character in the forefront by engaging her/him in activity.
- Reveal character and special abilities through action as much as possible.
- Build the story world as you go, slivering in the details of place as needed.