Monday, July 24, 2023

TOO MUCH! A PICTURE BOOK REVIEW, AUTHOR INTERVIEW AND MORE!

I always enjoy sharing my writing friend's new books and am happy to tell you about Jolene Gutiérrez's sensitive picture book, TOO MUCH! An Overwhelming Day (Abrams Books). The book which is beautifully illustrated by Angel Chang, is coming out on August 1 and can be preordered here. Remember! Preorders are one way you help authors get the word out about their books. If you don't want to purchase it yourself, then ask your library to add it to their collection. 



REVIEW

The book is written in simple poetry but tackles a difficult topic: Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). Jolene is intimately acquainted with this condition so she is uniquely qualified to write about a child who suffers from SPD.

As the little girl gets ready for school, the reader sees in a very close POV how light, sounds, textures, and even crunchy cereals bother her.


At school, she must navigate playground friends who want to hug her--which creates sensory overload.


Our little friend is so upset that all she can do is hide.


Fortunately, she knows to ask for something that will calm her down.




I take deep breaths

you hold my hand

I'm thankful

that you understand.

                                ****

                              When feelings go 

                     on overload,

                     I pause and breathe,

                     and all is...


BACK MATTER


Jolene included four terrific pages of information about SPD, sensory systems, and even how to create a sensory diet. 




I recommend this book to parents, librarians, and teachers who suspect a child has a sensory disorder.  The little girl's needs are so sweetly and simply showed that I think every preK-1st grade teacher needs this in her classroom. It will help other students develop empathy for a child experiencing these issues and would be useful when targeting social-emotional learning. Here is a link to the caregiver's/teacher's guide on Jolene's website.

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

Carol: Why did you choose poetry to write this story?  


Jolene: I did NOT want to write in rhyme because rhyme and rhythm are a challenge for me, but this story demanded it. The piece “Too loud! Too bright! Too itchy! Too tight!” came to me first, so I wrote those words down and eventually built a story around them. 

 

Carol: I understand that you and your children have experienced sensory processing issues. Is this a genetic disorder?

 

Jolene: Yes, my daughter, my son, and I all have sensory processing disorder, and this is absolutely the book that I needed as I was trying to raise my children (and probably the book my parents needed as they were trying to raise me). Many of my sensitivities are based around sound, light, and textures (of food and of clothing). My daughter is my oldest child, so she is the person I got to learn to parent on. Her sensitivities looked different from mine—she didn’t like touch or certain types of movement. I was slow to realize that we were both struggling with sensory input and regulation but in different ways. With the help of a play therapist who recommended testing and occupational therapy, we both learned about sensory needs. Since many types of neurodiversity seem to be inherited and sensory processing disorder is one of those differences, I would say that yes, in my non-expert opinion, sensory sensitivities can be genetic.

 

Carol: Can you talk a bit about how your experiences informed this book? Was it difficult to write about something this personal? 

 

Jolene: Those experiences ARE this book—I brainstormed things that I struggled with or that my kids struggled with and wrote scenes around them. The only difficulty in writing about this is the guilt I feel for not recognizing what was going on with my daughter sooner. This is the book I needed so I wouldn’t feel like a bad parent who was doing something wrong AND the book my kids needed so they wouldn’t feel different. Had I known what was going on earlier, I could have anticipated my kids’ needs and advocated for them. I hope this book will be a helpful tool for the families and kids who need it and a way to encourage compassion and understanding for those who haven’t experienced sensory overwhelm.

 

Carol: How did your experiences as a teacher and librarian at a school for kids who are diverse learners shape this book?


Jolene: My students are often neurodiverse learners. Some of my students may have diagnoses that include dyslexia, ADHD, or autism spectrum disorder. Amongst students with some type of neurodiversity, co-occurrence of differences is common.  I see a lot of sensory sensitivities in my students. When I’m teaching, I’m sure to name some of mine, too: “I get really overwhelmed and distracted by sound, so it helps me if you don’t have side conversations when I’m trying to teach.” As I wrote TOO MUCH!, I thought of what would help my students.

 

Carol: What was your book journey?


Jolene: This manuscript originally started as a board book manuscript. There were three editors interested in it and two of the editors wanted some revisions, so I ended up with three versions: the original version, a version with problem/solution format (one stanza introduced a problem and the next stanza introduced a solution), and a version where the caregiver has more dialog. Each of the editors was so thoughtful and kind but Meredith Mundy at Abrams Appleseed is the editor who connected most strongly with this manuscript, and I’m so honored and happy to work with her! Ironically, this manuscript is coming out first as a picture book and eventually will be released as a board book. I also have two other picture books (both co-authored) coming out with Meredith at Abrams Appleseed in the next two years. Mamiachi and Me, a picture book co-authored with my son Dakota about an all-female mariachi group; the other hasn’t been announced yet. 

 

Carol: The illustrations are fantastic. Did you have any input into them?


Jen: I love them, too! Angel Chang is amazing! Meredith gave me some choices and also asked if I had a specific art style in mind. Since I try not to imagine illustrations when I’m writing and because sensory overwhelm seems like such a tough subject to illustrate, I didn’t have many ideas. But as we explored some of the illustrators Meredith and art director Heather Kelly suggested, we all gravitated to Angel’s art. She did the most brilliant job of illustrating something that we were all worrying about: “How do you illustrate sensory overwhelm?” Through the use of color, lines, and little shapes that Angel called “emotional friends,” we can see when Birdy, the little girl Angel created, is overwhelmed.

Meredith and Heather allowed me to look over the art at various stages and asked for feedback, so they worked very collaboratively with me and with Angel to ensure that the final product reflected both of us. One of the main scenes where I offered feedback is the playground scene. Initially, Birdy was on the top of the play structure peeking out at her playground friends below. My feedback was based on my own experiences. If Birdy was overwhelmed, she would be shutting down and trying to shut the world out, so she would probably be hugging herself, hiding her face, etc. Angel used that feedback to create a Birdy authentic to my experiences.


GIVEAWAY

Leave me a comment or email me by July 26 to enter. Sorry, U.S. addresses only. If you are an educator or librarian, you get two chances. Please leave me your email address if you are new to my blog. 


Congratulations to Linda Trott Dickman who won Find Me In the Time Before from last week's blog.

22 comments:

Kim A. Larson said...

This book sounds so interesting. I can relate to so much of this, but I had never heard the term before. Congratulations on this wonderful book, Jolene! I look forward to reading it. Great interview, too.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Kim. Your name starts the list!

Rosie Russell said...

Thank you Carol and Jolene Gutiérrez for sharing this helpful book for those who have sensory issues. I love the illustrations by Angel Chang, too.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Rosie. Nice to hear from you. Your name is on the list.

Jen Lowry said...

Absolutely love the representation! I'm happy to spread the word about Jolene's book! The illustrations capture so much too!

Carol Baldwin said...

I agree, Tammy. Your name goes in twice!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Jen. Yes, the illustrations are great.

Jolene Gutiérrez said...

Thank you so much for hosting me, Carol!! <3 Thank you all for taking the time to read the interview and comment! I appreciate your support as we prepare to welcome this gorgeous book into the world! And if you're not able to pre-order it, you can ask your local public library if they'll order it. That + reviews in places like GoodReads and Amazon is SO helpful for authors!

Jennifer M Barnes said...

Really compelling topic, Carol! I remember teaching a child who had sensory processing issues. When my hair grazed her arm, it was just too much! (I had to learn things on my own to try to make her days brighter in kindergarten. I sure could have used Jolene's book then! Congrats to her on all the publishing to come!)

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Jennifer. I'm glad Jolene wrote this book too.

Carol Baldwin said...

Good reminder, Jolene. I'll order it from my library and add it to the post!

Marci said...

This book is greatly needed! I also have a child with Sensory Disorder. The younger elementary years were the toughest--sharing information is a must. Great work, Jolene! Congrats!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Marci. You know from personal experience what this book is all about. I Hope you share it with others who might benefit from it.

Danielle H. said...

This is a much needed book and I agree that it will help build empathy in classrooms and at home too. I have a daughter who would have benefited from me reading this and I'll have to find it to better understand what she experienced and how I could have parented differently.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Danielle. Apparently this is a problem that many have experienced.

Laura Roettiger said...

I’m fortunate to have seen an ARC of this amazing book and *may have* squeaked with excitement at the time! I’m thrilled that TOO MUCH! will be out in the world soon and I know so many educators and adults who don’t quite understand what it’s like to feel this way will benefit from Jolene’s gently worded back matter. As I’m typing this comment, it’s 90 degrees and my beloved dog Charlie is leaning his itchy coat on my leg and panting, so I can relate to the topic just a little bit. You don’t need to put me in the giveaway because I’ve preordered my copy. Thank you for the interview.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Laura, for your lovely comment. I hear you about Charlie's itchy coat!! I hope you'll return to my blog for other giveaways. And thanks for sharing this on Twitter.

Linda Trott Dickman said...

This book describes so many students I have had. And sometimes, me! I look forward to recommending it to my librarian friends. Thank you for writing this beautiful book Jolene Gutiérrez. I cannot wait to read it!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, LInda! Jolene will appreciate your recommendation.

Jilanne Hoffmann said...

I am one of the lucky peeps to have seen a review copy! And as a someone with sensory processing differences and a son with sensory processing differences, I really lated to this story. It's also so beautifully illustrated, and does a great job of visually expressing the emotions felt by the MC. I love it! Congrats, Jolene and Angel!!

Helen Rapoport said...

Thank you for your interview. What an important book for children. Jolene has a way with words and Angel’s colorful drawings are appealing and compelling. The sage advice in the back matter is flush with useful information. Kudos to Jolene and Angel: this book fills a vital role in helping us understand sensory disorders.

Helen Rapoport

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you Helen and Julianne for your comments! And of course, I agree with what you said.

I've Moved!

  I look forward to reading your comments on my new  website,  Carolbaldwinbooks .  Please follow me there for book reviews and   Half-Truth...