Monday, January 5, 2009

Newbery Point and Counterpoint

For those of you who have taken exception to past choices of Newbery winners, you might enjoy reading "Has the Newbery Lost Its Way?" an article in the October issue of The School Library Journal by Anita Silvey on recent Newbery choices.

If you're interested in reading a different opinion on the topic, read Erica Perl's thoughtful article, "Captain Underpants Doesn't Need a Newbery Medal".

Which side of the fence do you sit on?

If you ask me, I'm not sure. I've read some terrific Newbery winners such as Bridge to Terabithia (Crowell, 1977) or A Single Shard (Clarion, 2001); and others that I have wondered why they were selected, such as Kira-Kira (Simon and Schuster, 2004) and The Higher Power of Lucky (Simon and Schuster, 2006).

If you're a teacher or librarian with an opinion on Newbery choices, e-mail me and I'll share your thoughts and experiences with others.

As for me, I just put several other Newbery winners on hold at my library; it never hurts to learn from those who have been chosen to exemplify quality childrens literature.
Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , ,

No comments:

PUSH-PULL MORNING: Dog Powered Poems About Matter and Energy

I wouldn't have believed that a book about matter and energy would be read by the picture book crowd, except that my third-grade and kin...