Saturday, October 8, 2022

MOONWALKING: A Middle-Grade Review

There is a lot to like about Moonwalking (MacMillan, 2022) co-authored by Zetta Elliott and Lyn Miller-Lachmann. This middle-grade verse novel set in New York City in 1980, alternates between the POV of the two protagonists. Pie Velez is a math whiz and graffiti artist, and his most unlikely friend, JJ Pankowski, is a punk rock fan and one of the few white kids at their school. 


When I read books that I plan to review I record some of my favorite passages. Here are a few that I noted.

From Pie's second poem, "Bomb."

.... I never knew mist

wrapped in metal could be

light as air and dark as night

or brighter than a neon sign

I shake the can and

the seed of a rainbow clatters

inside before blooming in my palm

and climbing across the wall

                             ...... 

tags spread like wildfire

we write in code on concrete

words most folks can't read

signs that wow

warn

and won't be ignored

WE ARE HERE  (p.8)

From one of JJ's poems entitled, "Three Chords." In this scene when the reader is just getting to know JJ, he's learning how to play his uncle's guitar.

Joe Strummer said  

you don't need talent 

you don't need skill 

       all you need is a loud voice

        an electric guitar

        three chords

        and a story. (p. 15)

Clearly, both boys yearn to express themselves. 

JJ finds refuge in a school that is so crowded no one notices him. This is an excerpt from the poem, "Invisible Me."

They're a team

I won't go out for.

A party for which I don't beg

an invitation.

A universe

I dare not disturb. (p. 25)

Pie struggles with his mother's mental illness, being bullied by neighborhood kids who call her loco, and his dreams of being an artist. JJ's father lost his job and they have to cram into his grandmother's apartment; he doesn't fit in at school and he misses his sister who moved out. 

Slowly, the boys get to know one another and learn to appreciate each other's art. JJ gapes at "Pie murals on subway cars and buildings." Pie invites him to eat lunch in the quiet art room. JJ makes him a mixtape and the boys bond. But when JJ joins him to tag some buildings, the police show up and their encounter becomes a test of their friendship.  

This poem excerpt is from"Tag--I'm It" From JJ's POV:

all I could think about was how    through it all JJ   said nothing

did nothing    just kept his head down      to keep himself safe

Andres was right    no mixtape's gonna change    the system

'cause when it comes to      playing tag with cops

they only ever    try to catch

                    someone like me. (p. 146)

The ending is not your typical "two-different-kids-become-friends" and live happily ever after. But, it satisfactorily concludes the book. I loved the imagery in the poems and the way each character was deeply shown and how the boys helped each other through difficult times.

The main thing that I didn't like was how JJ discovers that his sister is a lesbian and that is why she left home. I thought that was a peripheral subplot that didn't add to the boys' friendship story.  Christian parents, grandparents, and teachers should be aware that this subject material is included in the novel. 

I wrote an email to Lyn Miller-Lachman stating my concerns and she responded: "Thank you for your note and your thoughts. I’m glad you appreciated the poetry and the story of MOONWALKING....The reason for including that thread is to show JJ’s growing realization that the world is more complex than he had believed—one more for his list of 'things that make no sense.' However, this crisis also shows him that he has choices, and he chooses to maintain his relationship with his sister, just as later on he will do what he can to maintain his friendship with Pie in the face of Pie’s anger. If you do include a note to potential readers who are Christians, I could see this as a discussion prompt: What would you do if you found out someone close to you—a family member—was having a same-sex relationship? Would you cut all ties to that person, or would you maintain the connection?”

                                                ****

What do you think, readers? Are you interested in reading this book? Why, or why not?


Congratulations to Gwen McCluney who won EVICTED! and to Hewi Mason who won A Planet Like Ours.

13 comments:

Marci said...

This sounds like an interesting story with wonderful stanzas. Thanks for sharing!

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm interested! I grew up in NYC until 1979 and lived there again in 1994. I discovered punk in the 1980s.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks Theresa and Marci, for your comments and for following my blog. You can probably find MOONWALKING in your library.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'd be interested because I like the time period, and the characters sounds super interesting.

Carol Baldwin said...

The characters are very interesting, Natalie. Thanks for stopping by.

Valinora Troy said...

I think it's a pity it has the lesbian subplot because it doesn't sound relevant and would definitely put off a lot of parents. I wouldn't read this book as I don't read contemporary fiction at all, but it sounds like it has lots of good points, the characters sound great. Thanks for sharing!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Valinora, for taking the time to read and comment.

Patricia T. said...

What a thorough review of a really great novel in verse. I nominated Moonwalking for a Cybils, as I thought it was so unique, compelling and beautifully written. And I loved that you reached out to the author about the Lesbian inclusion. I am a Christian and was not bothered at all, but I appreciated understanding why the author put it in the novel and included her comments. That's makes for a great book review. It made sense to me and I like her suggested activity on how to use the topic. Thank you for sharing!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Patricia. I appreciate your insight into this book and the discussion we are having here.

Greg Pattridge said...

Love the contrast in the main characters. I don't read many novels in verse but this one is now on the top of my list. Thanks for the review and Happy MMGM!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Greg. YEs, these characters are quite a contrast. I think you'll enjoy the book.

Rosi said...

This sounds like a terrific book, one that I would like. I do like novels in verse, and the poems you shared piqued my interest in the writing. I have to problem with the sister being a lesbian. I think it adds a nice complexity to the story. It would be a shame if people missed this book because of that kind of prejudice. Thanks for telling me about it.

Rosi said...

This sounds like a terrific book. The poems you shared piqued my interest in the writing. I have no problem with the sister being a lesbian. It adds richness and complexity to the family dynamics and reality to the story. It would be a shame if people missed this book due to that kind of prejudice. Thanks for telling me about this book. I will be putting it on my TBR list.

SHE'S STILL HERE: A Book Review by Guest Blogger, Josie Murdock

REVIEW OF SHE'S STILL HERE by Caitlin Alexander Twenty years ago, Ravendale Middle school caught fire and Jane Wright was lost forever....