Monday, December 26, 2022

EVERY MISSING PIECE: A Middle-Grade Review by Debut Tween Blogger, Olivia A.

 Today I have the pleasure of introducing a new tween blogger, Olivia A. She's a granddaughter of a friend of mine, and a bibliophile. (When her family moved from North Carolina to Texas she brought along her 1000-book library!).  Let's help her celebrate her book-reviewing career with her thoughts on EVERY MISSING PIECE by Melanie Conklin.



Maddy has trouble with anxiety; when her dad dies it gets even worse. Whenever she feels like something bad is going to happen, she has the urge to call the police. She decides to stuff those feelings down inside of her and hold back these urges. Six months later, a boy goes missing. A mysterious kid named Eric starts living on the neighbor’s property and Maddy suspects it's the missing boy. She believes it’s him because he looks like the missing boy that she researched on her computer. She thinks to herself, “It can’t be him, it’s not possible!” and she resists the urge to call the police. Is it the missing boy? Or is it just a normal kid? I guess you will find out, but only if you read the book!    


Maddy is sparky, kind, and loving. The author, Melanie Conklin, makes her imperfect because she has normal kid problems that other kids can relate to. Like a jigsaw puzzle, the author fits pieces of the action and Maddy’s everyday life together perfectly. It seems as if the story is coming alive in front of your eyes.  She is not a suspenseful author, but the book is so descriptive that she hooks you almost immediately. Here’s a quote from the book that grabbed me:


“That you Diesel?” A lanky pale-haired boy popped out from behind the tree in front of me like a ghost appearing out of thin air. White blond hair, skinny arms, stick-out ears.” I love how the author writes with so much conversation. It's so inviting to people, it’s as if you are in Maddy’s world just quietly standing beside them while everything is happening.

 

I didn’t believe I would like Every Missing Piece at first, because I normally prefer fantasy and adventure over realistic fiction. But this book surprised me, it had mystery, action, and everyday problems like dealing with fights with your friends. Normally, realistic fiction has a lot less action and more regular life stories that readers can relate to easily. This book had surprising twists, when I thought I had figured the plot out, it turned a different way. The twists astonished me, and I couldn’t put the book down. If you’re a fan of fantasy and adventure books (and realistic fiction) then you should definitely give this book a try! 



Olivia is 10 and has one little brother, Liam. She has 2 dogs Baxter and Cookie.

She likes Star Wars, softball, and of course, she loves reading.


10 comments:

Marci said...

Great book review, Olivia! I've seen this book, but I haven't read it yet. I will make sure to add it to my list! Thanks for sharing!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Marci! I appreciate you encouraging Olivia.

Kendakay24 said...

Outstanding review, Olivia!! You've got skillz (...and a 1,000 book collection?...STELLAR! 😁👍)!! I'll definitely add this one to my library! Many thanks to both you and Carol!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks you Kenda for stopping by and leaving a comment. Come back again-for more MG and Picturebook reviews!

Glee Dunbar said...

Keep doing amazing things Olivia!! I cannot wait to check out this book.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Glee! I'm sure Olivia will!

Theresa Milstein said...

Sounds like a book I want to read. Great review!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Theresa. I hope you like it.

Melanie Conklin said...

Thank you so much for reading and writing this amazing review, Olivia! I appreciate your hard work and thoughtful analysis of Maddy's story.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks Melanie. Glad you like Olivia's review.

THOMAS JEFFERSON'S BATTLE FOR SCIENCE: A Picture Book Review and Giveaway

Beth Anderson is no stranger to my  blog . Her outstanding nonfiction biographies find little-known stories within a historical character&#...