Friday, March 22, 2024

PUSH-PULL MORNING: Dog Powered Poems About Matter and Energy

I wouldn't have believed that a book about matter and energy would be read by the picture book crowd, except that my third-grade and kindergarten grandkids are studying physics at school right now. Go figure. At their age, I would have had no idea that a catapult uses a fulcrum---or even what a fulcrum was--let alone build one for a class project! 


Eleanor's 3rd-grade catapult
(with some help from her dad).


Her younger brother, Caleb,
enjoyed the catapult too.

But I digress. PUSH-PULL MORNING (Astra Books for Young Readers, 2023) written by Lisa Westberg Peters and illustrated by Serge Bloch is a fun-filled exploration of physics for young readers. And because the narrator's new dog is the star of the show, even kids who might not gravitate to science will be won over too. After all, who can resist a book with a dog that is physics-friendly? 




REVIEW

Using the unique vehicle of poetry, Lisa Westberg Peters tackles ideas that aren't easy to explain. 

Take the concept of Matter that is shown in the first poem, "Stuff in Common." The narrator comments on the fact that although he is different than his new pet, his dog's wet nose, floppy ears, and clicky claws are all made of

zillions of wiggly molecules and

jillions of jiggly atoms.

Me too!

My new dog and I 

are made of the SAME

wiggly-jiggly stuff.


From there, the reader discovers the Phases of Matter.



A dog is the perfect way to illustrate the concept of Motion. Whether she is chasing a squirrel, running back and forth, or panting and pretending not to care about the squirrel, the "Dog in Motion" poem says it all. 

Similarly, a dog clearly demonstrates the concept of Force in "Push-Pull Morning."  How?  Think about how your dog pulls on her leash to go outside or to greet another dog; how your dog has to be pushed inside the vet's office and how she pushes against your leg when she wants attention.

Clever, huh? 

There are poems about inertia (picture a dog who'd rather nap than go for a walk); gravity (will a dog go down a playground slide?); magnetism (a dog contemplates how a bone can be stuck to the refrigerator door); energy, friction, and electricity.



My generous dog

gives me electrons 

on cool, dry days.

She rolls around on the carpet

Her fur picks up electrons

until she is extremely negative.


Using activities that are familiar to young children and with the help of a super-smart, friendly dog, Lisa Westberg Peters brings physics into the realm of common everyday experiences. 

All I can say is that I would have liked my high school Chemistry and Physics classes if I'd had this book as a youngster. I'm thankful--and a bit jealous--of my grandkids!

CURRICULUM RESOURCE

It probably goes without saying that PUSH-PULL MORNING will be a fantastic STEM supplement in kindergarten through third-grade classrooms. In addition, Lisa has ideas for combining science with poetry on her website. Since the concepts are not the easiest ones to master, the book would also be useful in middle school classrooms. Thanks to my friend, Linda Phillips, a former middle school teacher for pointing that out!

I am sorry but there's no giveaway this time. As you might have predicted, this book found a home in my grandkids' growing library.

Congratulations to Emily Weitz who won The Human Body: An Alien's Guide.

Don't forget to check out the other MMGM books featured on Greg Pattridge's blog!







18 comments:

Linda Phillips said...

I love this book! As a writer of poems and a former teacher of middle school science, it is one of those clever books I wish I had thought of first! It should be a hit even with the middle school crowd as a supplement to fun creative writing.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Linda. I was wondering if it could be used in middle school too. You just confirmed it!

Gail Cartee said...

Sounds like such a kid friendly science book. I always loved biology but physics was not my forte. This book could change a lot of minds.

Kim A. Larson said...

What a unique book! Sounds great!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Kim!

Kathy said...

What a clever and creative book! I love it!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Kathy. I hope lots of teachers find it!

Natalie Aguirre said...

This book is such a clever way to introduce physics to kids in a way they can relate to. I wish I had an elementary grade did to read it with.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Natalie for your comment.

Marci said...

What a creative book! It looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Marci. Definitely one for the classroom!

Greg Pattridge said...

Such a creative way to present the subject matter. Your review convinced me to try this out on a slightly older MG audience. Thanks for featuring the book on this week's MMGM.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you for hosting me, Greg!

DMS said...

So glad your grandkids will get to add these to their collection. Love that there are poetry books about these topics. Perfect for April! :) Thanks for sharing.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, I hadn't thought about the poetry tie-in to April and poetry month!

Rosi said...

I love that kids will be pulled into science with poetry. This looks really cute. I'll check it out. Thanks for the post.

Maria Antonia said...

Looks like a fun poetry book! I like the art :)

Carol Baldwin said...

Yes, the art is great! Thanks for commenting.

SHE'S STILL HERE: A Book Review by Guest Blogger, Josie Murdock

REVIEW OF SHE'S STILL HERE by Caitlin Alexander Twenty years ago, Ravendale Middle school caught fire and Jane Wright was lost forever....