Monday, March 27, 2017

Little Literacy

Congratulations to Deborah Allmand who won, Midnight Without a Moon from last week's blog.
******
I'm thankful that each of my five grandchildren's parents are encouraging literacy from an early age. I was on grandma duty last week so allow me to share some pictures and videos I've accumulated over the years. 

At a few days old, Eleanor Edgar was introduced to Sandra Boynton.
Two years later, she's still a fan.



At ten months, Eleanor was "selecting" books.

Now she plays alphabet games with her Mommy,



enjoys independent reading,



and shares books with her dog.



Her cousin Libbie Kasten enjoyed reading DON'T LET THE BEDBUGS BITE by Niki Masse Schoenfeldt in the car.


She memorized favorite books,



and wrote her name in the sand.


My grandson Mason Clark discovered that literacy includes receiving HOW TO CHEER UP DAD signed to him by Fred Kohler,


as well as reading Biscuit, a first reader all by himself.



Caitlin, Libbie's big sister, was extremely proud when she began reading chapter books. She loved the Princess Posey books by Stephanie Greene.



As well as writing her own book.



Caitlin actually told her parents that she hoped to major in reading when she goes to college. Her scientific/math-minded parents raised their eyebrows about that, but she is a girl after my own heart!

My oldest granddaughter, Ebby Clark, is in fourth grade and offered these two book reviews:



I'm delighted that my grandchildren have discovered through The Cousins Club that their Grandma LOVES books!

If you're not tired of videos yet, here is one more that will entertain the favorite toddler in your life:


As a parent or grandparent, how have you encouraged literacy? I'd love to hear your stories!

12 comments:

Linda Phillips said...

I know you are proud of them, but they can also be proud of a Grandma who has encouraged them so much in their literary pursuits!

Barbara Younger said...

Ah. Such darling readers!

Both of my grandbabies loved books right from the start. I read to my own from the beginning too, but it's really with my grandkids that I've taken note of how much they love tiny readers
love books.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks Barbara and Linda. Reading is special to all of us grandmas!

Debbie Allmand said...

Great videos of your kiddos.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Deb. Mailed your book today!

Clara Gillow Clark said...

Just LOVE your little readers, Carol! What a joyful post. Thank you for sharing.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Clara!

Caroline McAlister said...

Precious!

Sandra Warren said...

The photos and video are all wonderful. Thank you for sharing your family.

How fortunate they are to have a grandmother who loves to read to them. What a great role model you are to them, their parents and us all.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Sandra. I'm sure you've been the same for your grands!

Kathleen said...

Carol, your grandchildren are just adorable. What a wonderful Grandma they have to start them off with such wonderful books so they can experience the joy of reading and where it can take them! And someday soon,they will be reading their Grandma's book :)

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Kathleen! They're a lot of fun!

PUSH-PULL MORNING: Dog Powered Poems About Matter and Energy

I wouldn't have believed that a book about matter and energy would be read by the picture book crowd, except that my third-grade and kin...