Saturday, January 27, 2024

TEARS TO PRINCESS: A Review of "Tears of A Princess" by Guest Blogger, Mara Scudder

Tears of a Princess by Laura Thomas is the upper middle-grade sequel to the novel Tears to Dancing. It follows the main character’s best friend, Natasha, as she deals with the news of her parent's divorce and accompanies Bethany on a mission trip to Mexico that changes her perspective forever.




Although some elements of the novel were written better than the first book, there were still two persisting drawbacks. The first was the characters, all of which were one or two-dimensional. Even Natasha, who we were supposedly watching transform from a spoiled rich girl to a selfless and caring Christian, had most of her character development done throughout the year gap between the end of the first book and the start of the second. While the girl in the first book was careless, narcissistic, and vapid, in the second book Natasha has much more substance, dealing with a few emotional outbursts, which she quickly apologizes for. I was looking forward to watching the dramatic change, but instead it seemed as though she had already accomplished most of the change without God.

Another drawback was the dialogue. Rather than letting readers discover what a character was feeling and how they were changing, the author used exposition for the characters to communicate to each other. While their thoughts were more abstract and natural, their dialogue was blunt, no-nonsense, and to the point, even during very emotional scenes. This made it difficult to read, especially in scenes that were supposed to be the most powerful.

One thing that I appreciated about this work was the overarching themes that were missing from the first. Both tears, the sunrise, and the idea of Natasha being a “princess” were echoed throughout the work. Natasha’s transformation from being her father’s “princess” as a term of indulging endearment to thinking of herself as being a princess as the daughter of the King of kings had a special impact because of its intentionality. Tying in tears as her way of breaking her family’s picture-perfect facade and becoming more honest with people around her also enhanced the continuity of the work and made the resolution much more conclusive than it would have been otherwise.

Aside from this, the plot was also more coherent, allowing a more natural flow between events than the first book, and the overarching themes made the ending far more complete and satisfying. This ending made the ideas it had to offer much more impactful, creating a stronger lead-up to the trilogy’s finale, Tears, Fears, and Fame.




Hi! My name is Mara, and I’m a Christian artist, violinist, and blogger. I remember the day that I decided that I would learn something new about what makes a good story from every book I picked up — whether it was good, bad, or a mixture of both. I use my 
blog as a way of sharing some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned and highlighting which books, cartoons, and movies have taught me the most about writing an awesome story. I’m in eleventh grade and live in Philadelphia.  


Check out Greg Pattridge's Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday blog 
for more book recommendations.


9 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I admire you for continuing with the series even though you didn't love the first book, Maria. I'm glad that you enjoyed aspects of book 2 in the series more than book 1. Thanks for sharing your honest opinions about it.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Natalie. I think writers can learn from Mara's analysis!

Valinora Troy said...

Thanks for the in-depth review, Mara! I like the theme of the story, it's a pity it's not done as well as it could be. Thanks for sharing!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Valinora. Mara is a critical thinker and reviewer!

Kasey @ The Story Sanctuary said...

I find it so frustrating when characters aren't well-developed. It can be so hard to connect with the story when it's like that. Thanks for sharing information about the series!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Kasey, for your comment for Mara. Her review helps us know what to do as writers, doesn't it?

Greg Pattridge said...

You are doing an excellent job reviewing these books, Mara! I'm glad the second story is filling in some of the missing components of Book 1. Thanks for featuring your post on this week's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks Greg for encouraging my young reviewers.

Rosi said...

Another excellent, honest review. It's great, Carol, that you have so many great, young reviewers. Thanks for the post.

I've Moved!

  I look forward to reading your comments on my new  website,  Carolbaldwinbooks .  Please follow me there for book reviews and   Half-Truth...