Saturday, January 20, 2024

A Benefit to Blogging and How a Book is Born

Last week my friend and fellow NC blogger, Joan Edwards, interviewed me on her blog. She asked questions about writing Half-Truths including how my blog has helped me develop my writing skills. This is what told her:

My blog has helped me in two ways. I read and reviewed lots of mentor texts. Each review has taught me to analyze what makes a novel stand out. I also was able to journal my progress with Half-Truths including reviewing books about the Black experience. The books were crucial to making Half-Truths authentic and the online journal helped me answer your questions!

Yesterday as I was working on my next book, Unbroken Heat (working title) I thought how keeping track of my progress with Half-Truths was helpful to me as well as to anyone who wanted to know the book's backstory. So, here I am with this week's blog post, to tell you about Unbroken and my love for glass.

Over 25 years ago I walked into a glass bead shop and I was hooked. I couldn't believe the intricate, gorgeous beads were glass! I told the owner I wanted to write about her and she replied, "Don't write about me. I'm going to introduce you to people who are bigger than me--you're going to meet some North Carolina glass artists."

As a result of her introductions, I watched hot, molten glass transform into works of art and wrote several articles. I won two awards from Highlights Magazine for my article, "Paul Stankard's Paperweight Magic;" and signed a contract for Discover Glass about the history, art, and science of glass. I thought I was set to become the expert on glass for kids. But the publisher went belly-up and I was left with boxes full of drafts, research notes, and photographs. 

Soon after that, I started Half-Truths. I promised myself that any book I wrote going forward would include glass. I couldn't waste all my research! So, when I created my protagonist's backstory,  her grandfather's (Andrew Dinsmore) history included working in a glass factory when he was a boy.

Meanwhile, somewhere along the line, I purchased KIDS AT WORK: LEWIS HINE AND THE CRUSADE AGAINST CHILD LABOR.

Pictures like these caught my attention:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/nclc.01154/

https://www.loc.gov/item/2018676573/

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lewis_Hine,_Glass_works,_midnight,_Indiana,_1908.jpg

Who were these boys? How did they end up working in glass factories as young as 10 years old? What were their stories? Those images and questions stuck with me. 

I started researching. I thought I wanted to write about child labor in the glass industry, but as Harold Underdown reminded me when I began Half-Truths, that was only the setting. That wasn't the story itself. 

I started studying a book that Paul Stankard gave me years ago, 


and I watched YouTube videos that Wheaton Arts produced. 

I knew this was Andrew Dinsmore's story and that he had to go to work as a young teen--but I didn't know much else. Slowly, Andrew's life in a New Jersey glass factory in 1893 is getting fleshed out. I'm discovering what he wants and who or what will keep him from his goals. 

As I read about New Jersey's glass industry, I realized that besides the failed attempt at producing glassware in Jamestown, Va., the first successful glass factories were in colonial New Jersey.  Suddenly I had another story besides Andrew's--I had the story of a young indentured servant from England who landed in Philadelphia and must work off his debt in a glass factory in South Jersey. 

I had just finished reading The Blackbird Girls and was intrigued by Anne Blankman's use of two different timelines and multiple points of view. Could I do that with Unbroken? If so, what was the other timeline and how could I connect the two stories? Here's the pitch I came up with:

At the turn of the 20th century, a young factory worker is surrounded by deafening noise, blisteringly hot glass, and mind-numbing exhaustion. There is no end in sight until he finds mysterious notes from a boy who lived this life 100 years earlier.  

And now, I can begin a new page on my blog. And when Joan Edwards interviews me about Out of the Flame--I'll know exactly how it all began. 

                                                    ****

Please go to Greg Pattridge's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday blog for more middle-grade book reviews and news.


 



24 comments:

Joan Y. Edwards said...

Dear Carol,
How people blow glass is intriguing. You have done intense searching about its history. Whenever I go to Dollywood, I always stop and watch them blow wonderful things out of glass. Sometimes they have a course in different places where you can learn how to blow glass.

I laughed when you said whennI do a blogpist about your book UNBROKEN, you already have it written down how it started becauuse you know that I am going tobadky you that very question.

I am honored that you mentioned me in your blog. Thank you.
Never Give Up
Joan Edwards

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Joan. We have something else in common now--a fascination with glass! Thanks for all your support.

Kim A. Larson said...

People don't realize the amount of research that often goes into writing a fiction story. Your backstory of your newest project was fun to read. And your ability to research is amazing! Looking forward to hearing how this book's story ends.

Cathy Stefanec Ogren said...

Carol, I find this post fascinating. It's amazing how in-depth research and talking to experts in a field can lead to new ideas.

Georgie Bartlett said...

Wonderful blog post! I am so excited to learn more about UNBROKEN. It sounds like such a fascinating story!

Carol Baldwin said...

I love how you wrote, "how this book's story ends." Each book has a story-- doesn't it, Kim. Somehow that is more evocative than the word "backstory." Thank you!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Cathy. I love weaving a story into real-life events. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

Joan Y. Edwards said...

Dear Carol,
How people blow glass is intriguing. You have done intense searching about its history. Whenever I go to Dollywood, I always stop and watch them blow wonderful things out of glass. Sometimes they have a course in different places where you can learn how to blow glass in several states.

I laughed when you said when I do a blogpost about your book UNBROKEN, you already have it written down how it started because you know that I am going to ask you that very question.

I am honored that you mentioned me in your blog. Thank you.
Never Give Up
Joan Edwards

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Joan!

Valinora Troy said...

Sounds a fantastic story, and glass making is such an incredible craft/art. I look forward to reading Unbroken (great title by the way!) and hopefully in the not too distant future!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you for your comment, Valinora. This book will hopefully come together quicker than the last! Miss you on MMGM!

https://antoinettetrugliomartin.com said...

It's a series of rabbit holes we fall into which makes tge writing process so incredibly challenging and satisfying. Looking forward to reading your book.

Carol Baldwin said...

I agree, Antoinette! Thanks for your comment.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great that you figured out a way to use your fascination with glass making and all the research you did on it to craft a historical fiction story. I'm sure you'll be able to add lots of interesting tidbits from all the research you've done.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Natalie! It's like putting together a huge puzzle!

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I know you're thrilled to again be researching and writing one of your favorite topics! You've learned so much from all those mentor texts as well as your rewrites. I believe this story will emerge more quickly from both your experience and your passion for the subject.

Carol Baldwin said...

Yes, I am loving it, Joyce. Thanks for your comment.

Kasey @ The Story Sanctuary said...

This is so cool! I love getting a window into how the seed of a novel began to sprout. It's always interesting when it came out of someplace unexpected and rich, which is what your experience makes me think of. I hope you get a chance to use your research in lots of ways and best of luck to you with your project! Also congrats for the awards from Highlights. :)

Carol Baldwin said...

thanks Kasey, for your rich comment!

Sue Heavenrich said...

This looks like a great topic for a book! I am always amazed at how we get ideas and what inspires our writing.

Carol Baldwin said...

Me too, Sue! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Greg Pattridge said...

Fascinating! Centering the story around this piece of our past would be fun to write. Best of luck as you continue your journey.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Greg. And thanks for giving me a voice on your blog!

Rosi said...

Intriguing premise, Carol. Good luck with your new book.

I've Moved!

  I look forward to reading your comments on my new  website,  Carolbaldwinbooks .  Please follow me there for book reviews and   Half-Truth...