Friday, January 27, 2023

On Submission


This post has been a long time coming. About 16 years long. There have been times when I thought I was ready to submit my middle-grade novel, HALF-TRUTHS. But now I KNOW it. 

IN THE BEGINNING

From the beginning, I imagined a story about a white girl and a light-skinned Black girl discovering that they were second cousins. That premise, which consistently elicits a "WOW!" response, has remained the same throughout my book journey.  

Having written dozens of articles and two nonfiction books, (Friendship Counseling, Teaching the Story: Fiction Writing in Grades 4-8)  I had confidence in my writing skills. But I knew nothing about writing fiction. It felt like jumping into deep water without knowing where I'd find the bottom. 


I wanted it to be a pre-civil rights story but Harold Underdown, my mentor at a Highlights Foundation workshop in 2009, informed me that was only the setting. For years I wrestled to answer the question he posed: What does your character want

EVERYONE HAS A STORY 

In the summer of 2007, I started thinking about my story and began interviewing "experts." My friend and mentor, Joyce Hostetter, encouraged me to research far and wide. What was happening in the world? In North Carolina? In Charlotte? She suggested that I find people who lived in the area and listen to their histories. Since I was just discovering my story, those initial interviews were broad. It's funny to reread them and see some of the questions I asked. 

Even though I often got off track and wanted to include every story I heard--I absorbed a time and place that was new to me. (In a future post I'll share some of the stories that I wanted to include but didn't.) 

I'm working on my 20+ page bibliography which includes 100 expert interviews. Some interview notes are less than a page. One of my experts is a man who graduated high school the same year my protagonist was in middle school. His notes are over 90 pages. Skimming through these interviews, I found details that made it into my story. I'd forgotten where and how I learned things such as what was served for lunch in the school cafeteria, the Black help's relationship with their employers, what it felt like to sit at the back of the bus, the used books and sports uniforms passed to the Black schools, the discussions about school integration, the peasant dresses worn to dances. You name it. It's one thing to read about these things in history books. It's another thing to have someone tell you how they felt as they experienced Jim Crow and/or chose not to become a debutante. 



Dorothy Counts, one of my experts, walking to Harding High School in 1957.
She was the first Black to attend the school.  
The photo originally appeared in The Charlotte Observer. 

People often wonder how I found these experts. I learned to ask everyone, "Who else should I talk to?". Tom Hanchett, Charlotte's local historian recommended several individuals. Others were patients of my dentist husband who were long-time Charlotteans. Others were parents of friends. These became my experts whose stories were woven together to create Half-Truths.

WHERE DID I FIND THIS STORY?

As the (working) title indicates, this book is about secrets and "white lies." Ben Franklin wrote in the Farmer's Almanac in 1758, "Half a truth is often a great lie." Over the years, I've thought about the secrets that people choose to conceal or at least, not talk about. I've often wondered what effect that has on the following generations.  As a Christian, I'm committed to telling the truth as commanded in the ninth commandment: "Thou shalt not bear false witness." As I wrote this novel, I had to think about my own "little" half-truths that I tell, and the reasons for them.

One elderly woman, a former debutante, suggested that I not pry into Charlotte in the 1950s and instead, write about my own life. (Who would want to read about growing up in South Jersey? Boring!) I was fascinated by my adopted new hometown and walked and biked around South Park and Myers Park thinking, "What is the story that could have happened here?" When I visited the former Rosenwald School in Grier Heights and saw the picture of a light-skinned Black principal, I found a key part of my story.

Billingsville School in Grier Heights. 
Now a community center. 

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS 

 INovember 2008, following Joyce's advice, I joined NaNoWriMo for the first time. I didn't feel ready, but it helped me create a first draft.

Pretty soon I realized that I didn't know what I didn't know. I attended workshops and webinars, conferences, and classes. I read books and blogs on plotting, conflict, and character; participated in several critique groups, and received critiques from industry professionals. Throughout this time, my best writing buddy, Linda Phillips, and Joyce encouraged me, asked me pointed questions, and provided feedback.


From the left: Joyce Hostetter, myself, and Linda Phillips
 at a writer's retreat in 2011.


But why did it take 16 years? First, I spent a long time trying to figure out where the story began. HALF-TRUTHS takes place in 1950, but at one point I started it with the protagonist's father in WWII. Not even close to the inciting event--which I didn't know a novel needed! 

Despite the fact that I wrote several outlines, I kept getting off track. Whenever I heard a feasible suggestion, "Someone should die," or, "Write it from the points of view of both girls," or, "Include romance," I spent time incorporating these ideas and going down rabbit holes of research. Combine that with going back and forth on whether or not this was a young adult or middle-grade book, I often strayed from my original vision: two girls--one white, one Black, discovering they are related. 

Enter Rebecca Petruck.  Rebecca critiqued several drafts and offered great insight into character arcs, plot points, and internalization. After I had spent a lot of time writing boyfriends for each main character (when I was thinking HALF-TRUTHS was a young adult book), Rebecca told it to me straight. I had lost the essence of the story--the girls' relationship.  


Rebecca helped me construct a plot chart in October 2013. 
I learned about Save the Cat! for the first time.

Since all of my readers were saying the book sounded more middle-grade, I ditched the boyfriends and the young adult genre. Along the way, I continued to interview folks and read and review middle-grade books. I particularly enjoyed Kathy Weichman's historical novels. Winner of the first Grateful American Book Prize, Kathy used to joke that she is the poster child for perseverance. I think I might be tying her for that distinction. 

Joyce Hostetter and I have swapped manuscripts over the years. Last February she suggested that I hire an editor to bring the book to the next level. I asked several trusted professionals in the Kidlit community for recommendations and found Deborah Halverson. She is a treasure.

In June 2022, I shared one page from Deborah's comprehensive editorial letter. For the next six months, I worked on incorporating her suggestions. I took out Kate's free verse poetry and changed it to journal-type entries in her steno pad. This fits Kate's goal of becoming a journalist. I worked on more youthful language, made Kate the instigator for the major change in her life, tightened the ending, and strengthened the City Girl vs. Country Girl motif as Rebecca had suggested years ago--but I'd forgotten!

In other words, I revised. A few weeks ago I was rewarded with these words from Deborah: 

In this revision, I feel you have accomplished your goals with this project, creating an entertaining, enlightening, compelling, and satisfying story for middle graders. I believe young readers will connect with Katie immediately and root for her throughout. Her growth is inspirational, showing the triumph of a flawed but earnest young person. 


Deborah's words gave me a boost of confidence that finally brought me to the...



of this stage. But it is also the beginning of an exciting time--being on submission!

WHAT'S NEXT?

For my friends and family who are reading this and aren't writers, you may be wondering what happens next. Remember those conferences and webinars I mentioned? At each one, I collected the names of agents and editors who expressed interest in the manuscript. Many said they didn't care how long it took. They just wanted to see it when it was the best I could make it. 

Now I take out that list, organize it through Query Tracker, and start sending out the manuscript.

If you are a writer, how did you feel when you began submitting your work? Please share your experiences in the comments. 

GIVEAWAY

Obviously, I don't have a copy of Half-Truths to give away, but I'm cleaning off my bookshelves to make room for the books I'll need for my next project. Over the last 16 years, I learned that I'm definitely a plotter, rather than a panster. For those of you who abhor outlines, I'm giving away my (slightly marked-up) copy of WRITING INTO THE DARK. Leave me a comment with your email address by February 1 and it could be yours.


Congratulations to Emily Weitz who won MY SCHOOL IN THE RAIN FOREST.

Please take a minute to see views about other middle-grade books on Greg Pattridge's Always in the Middle blog.




50 comments:

Joan Y. Edwards said...

Dear Carol,
Oh my! Oh My! OH MY! so excited for you and proud of you! Hurray for getting your manuscript to where you feel it is ready to be submitted to a publisher or agent. Yay, Carol.

Never Give Up
Joan

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Joan! Youre one of those people who knows how long Ive been at it!

Amy Houts said...

Congratulations, Carol! Your work and perseverance are an inspiration! I’ll watch for your contract announcement!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Amy. I appreciate the support!!

Connie Porter Saunders said...

I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear that a publisher has been found. Also can't wait to read this story!! Congratulations!

Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

I've been startled time and again at your ability to start over and put fresh words on the page. You have certainly persevered! And you've done the research for sure! I wish you all the best as you pursue publication and I look forward to reading the published story.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Joyce. You have been such a BIG part of this process. I can't thank you enough for taking me under your wing.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Connie. I have a feeling you'll like it!!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!
Congratulations!!
(Your big sister 😊)

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks,Barbara. You've been a part of team Half-Truths from the beginning!

Unknown said...

Good for you, Carol! I think this important book deserves and audience and hope you find your agent soon.

Unknown said...

So please for you, Carol! This is an important book and deserves an audience. Goo luck finding an agent!

Jaya

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Jaya! I appreciate your support.

Gail Cartee said...

Can't wait for the published work!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Gail. You'll recognize your Southern input!

Debbie Allmand said...

Congratulations Carol. So we'll deserved! Best of Luck.

Esther M. Bandy said...

Congratulations, Carol! Thank you so much for sharing your writing journey. That's a wonderful accomplishment, and I look forward to reading your book when it's published. I've enjoyed the chapters I've already read, and I hope you'll get it published soon. It's an important story!

Jilanne Hoffmann said...

I'm excited for you, Carol! Congrats! You don't need to enter me into the drawing. I'm a plotter through and through, LOL. Good luck!

Trish said...

So happy for you, Carol, to be ready to submit your book!!! Can’t wait to read the finished version! I loved the version I read earlier! So proud of you for all of your hard work and perseverance!! May the Lord continue to bless you!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you Trish, Esther, and Jilanne. It's so nice to know I have a tribe of cheerleaders rooting for me!

Carol Baldwin said...

thank you, Debbie. Your name goes in the hat too!

Unknown said...

Carol! Thank you for sharing the background on your work. Your thorough research and your dedication to getting this just right is inspiring – and I am so excited this story is off to make its way into the world! — Jean

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Jean! Your support has meant a lot to me.

Unknown said...

Soooo happy for you! I look forward to reading it.
Hewi Mason

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Hewi!!

Ruby Stephens said...

I know the pain of writing a book that just keep gnawing at your brain. The characters just live in your head, paying no rent and stomping around. I hope you can evict them and get new tennants.
Amy Stephens
Love your blog.









Julia said...

Best of luck on your submission! Sounds like a fascinating concept. I look forward to reading it one day!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Julia. If you want to be entered in the giveaway, please leave your email address.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Ruby. Great metaphor--but I think kate and Lillie will live in my head forever!! (Although I am working on next projects!!)

Lisa Idzikowski said...

Such an inspiring journey Carol!!

Unknown said...

Carol, what an amazing journey! And this is just the beginning!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, friend--whoever you are!

Kathleen said...

Carol, I'm so happy and excited for you being at this stage to finally submit!! I can't wait to see where Half Truths takes you,my dear friend ❤️

Young Authors Program said...

Way to go, Carol!! You are the epitome of dedication and determination! You should be incredibly proud of your hard work and diligence to be at this place.

Valinora Troy said...

That's fantastic news, and congratulations, Carol! Best of luck with the querying - you have a head start by contacting those agents who already liked your pitch! I look forward to hearing how it goes :). Once you've sent it on its way, I hope you can forget about it and start on your next book1 Congratulations again and thanks for sharing the journey!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks, Valinora. Next book (s) are already started!!

Greg Pattridge said...

What a journey! Congratulations Carol! The hardest part about submissions is the waiting and wondering. Keeping busy on your next writing project will make that part a little easier. Happy MMGM!

Carol Baldwin said...

thanks, Greg!

Sue Heavenrich said...

Good books take time. That's just the way it is. Congratulations on finishing one phase, and good luck in this next phase.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Sue. Your words re wise and I appreciate your support!!

Rosi said...

This is big, Carol. Very big. Perhaps my biggest congratulations are to you for not submitting before the book was ready, a lesson I wish I had learned long ago. I wish you great good luck with this project. I'm looking forward to reading it when it comes out.

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you for your support, Marci!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you so much, Rosi. Yes, I had lots of people tell me to go ahead and send it out--but it never seemed quite ready. after working with Deborah Halverson (who I would heartily recommend) I knew it was. I look forward to sending you a copy and having you review it on your blog!

Eileen Heyes said...

What an exciting threshold to cross! Good luck in this next phase of the journey. A vision is coming to me -- I see great Success in your future!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you, Eileen! I hope so!!!

Miriam Spitzer Franklin said...

Carol, I'm so excited for you!!! I just re-subscribed to your blog because I haven't gotten notices in the last few years. You have certainly put in the hard work and I can't wait to read your book when it makes it out into the world. Good luck on this next big step in your journey!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thanks for your support Miriam, and for re-joining my blog. Glad to have you back!

Carol Baldwin said...

Thank you so much, Ruby! I have new characters in my head now!

Allan Wolf said...

Thanks for reminding us all of the power of listening. I now have the photo of Dorothy Counts on my wall. Good luck as you words find their way into the world.

Carol Baldwin said...

thank you, Allan. I know Dorothy would be very pleased to be on your wall!

BEN AND SCOUT: A Review by Guest Blogger, Janelle Ekpo

REVIEW Ben and Scout by Denise Minnerly is the story of two dogs that are best friends and are always together, despite the greatest olds....